Italy's Mezzogiorno: Land of the Midday Sun
A Tour of Naples, Pompeii, and the Island of Ischia
8 nights Naples, 4 nights Ischia, 1 night airport hotel
- Accommodations in beautiful centrally located four star hotels
- Round-trip air transportation
- All transportation between cities by private motor coach
- Hydrofoil to and from Ischia
- Buffet breakfast
- Five dinners, one lunch
- Entrance to all museums and archaeological sites included in the itinerary
- Guided tour by a local expert at each site visited
- Tour group is limited to 18 people
- TOTAL COST: $5995* (per person in double occupancy)
- SINGLE ROOM SUPPLEMENT: $880
- *. Price with flight is based on departure from Washington Dulles Airport. Departures from other cities can be arranged but the price may vary.
May 14 Departure (And great news. Our flight is DIRECT from Dulles to Rome!)
- May 15 Arrive Rome airport. Transfer by private motor coach to Naples to the Hotel Mercure Angioino. Visit the Museo Nazionale Archeologico di Sperlonga enroute. Dinner
- May 16 Spaccanapoli, now a bustling quarter with plenty of street life, was once the center of ancient Roman Neopolis as well as home to aristocrats from the 14th through the 18th centuries. This colorful area is full of churches and palazzi. Our visits will include the churches of Gesu Nuovo, Santa Chiara, and San Domenico, along with the dramatic Cappella San Severo. Lunch will be at the Pizzeria di Matteo, famous for serving the best pizza in Naples (and therefore in all of Italy!). In the afternoon, we descend deep under the city as we visit Napoli Sottoranea- Naples Underground. Dinner in the charming seaside area of Castel dell'Ovo. Lunch, dinner
- May 17 A volcanic area with ruins dating back to ancient Greece, the Campi Flegrei (Phlegrean Fields) is one of the most fascinating archaeological areas in Italy. Traveling by motorcoach, we will visit Cuma, first Hellenic colony in Italy and site of the famous oracle, the Cumaen Sibyl; the ruins of Baia; the Piscina Mirabile at Bacoli; and the ancient amphitheatre and Temple of Serapis at Pozzuoli.
- May 18 Back to Spaccanapoli to see Caravaggio’s Seven Acts of Mercy, the Duomo and San Lorenzo, both built over ruins from Greek and Roman times. Afternoon visit to the world renowned Naples National Archeological Museum, home to the bronzes and frescoes from Herculaneum and Pompeii. Evening drive to the lovely area of Posillipo and dinner at a restaurant on the cliffs of Marechiaro, overlooking the glittering Bay of Naples. dinner
- May 19 Once the royal palace of the Bourbons, the Museo Capodimonte houses one of the largest and finest collections of 17th century paintings in the world. We will spend the day in this spectacular museum with its tranquil gardens on the hill high above the city. Optional evening musical performance at the Teatro San Carlo.
- May 20 Morning visit to the Amphitheatre at Capua and the Temple of Mithras. After lunch, the lavish Royal Palace of Caserta. The mile-long, six tiered garden with its dynamic sculpture set in the landscape is unparalleled for its dramatic beauty.
- May 21 We head south to visit the ancient, well preserved town of Herculaneum. Afternoon visit to the imperial villa of Oplontis.
- May 22 Set on a hill and offering a spectacular view of the city and its bay, the Museo di San Martino is one of the jewels of Naples. This charterhouse, with its exquisite baroque church, boasts paintings by Ribera, Reni, and other great masters of the 17 century. Afternoon free with an optional visit to the Villa Pignatelli.
- May 23 We bid farewell to Naples and head south to Paestum, one of the most impressive complexes of Magna Grecia. Late afternoon departure by ferry to the island of Ischia, our home for the next three nights at Hotel Continental Ischia. Dinner
- May 24 After our full program in Naples, relax and take in the beauty of this beautiful island. You can enjoy the thermal baths for which Ischia is famous, visit the town center, or enjoy the local beaches.
- May 25 Visit to the splendid botanical gardens of La Mortella and the Aragonese Castle.
- May 26 Day trip by aliscafo to Procida, the "other" island in the Bay of Naples.
- May 27 Early departure from Ischia to Napoli where we'll meet our bus and cap off our adventure with a visit to the much awaited Pompeii where we'll spend the entire day. Late afternoon departure for Hotel Isola Sacra at Fiumicino Airport.
- May 28 Arrivederci Italia!!