Italy's Mezzogiorno: Land of the Midday Sun
A Tour of Naples, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast
- 8 nights Naples, 4 nights Sorrento, 1 night airport hotel
- Accommodations in centrally located, three and four star hotels
- Round-trip air transportation
- All transportation between cities by private motor coach
- Hydrofoil to and from Capri
- Buffet breakfast
- Five dinners, one lunch
- Entrance to all museums and archaeological sites included in the itinerary
- Guided tour by a local expert at each site visited
- Tour group is limited to 16 people
- day 1 Departure
- day 2 Arrive Rome airport. Transfer by private motor coach to Naples to the Hotel Mercure Angioino. Visit the Museo Nazionale Archeologico di Sperlonga enroute. Dinner
- day 3 Spaccanapoli, now a bustling quarter with plenty of street life, was once the center of ancient Roman Neopolis as well as home to aristocrats from the 14th through the 18th centuries. This colorful area is full of churches and palazzi. Our visits will include the churches of Gesu Nuovo, Santa Chiara, and San Domenico, along with the dramatic Cappella San Severo. Lunch will be at the Pizzeria di Matteo, famous for serving the best pizza in Naples (and therefore in all of Italy!). In the afternoon, we descend deep under the city as we visit Napoli Sottoranea- Naples Underground. Dinner in the charming seaside area of Castel dell'Ovo. Lunch, dinner
- day 4 A volcanic area dating back to ancient Greece, the Campi Flegrei (Phlegrean Fields) is one of the most fascinating archaeological areas in Italy. Traveling by motorcoach, we will visit Cuma, first Hellenic colony in Italy and site of the famous oracle, the Cumaen Sibyl; the ruins of Baia; the Piscina Mirabile at Bacoli; and the ancient amphitheatre and Temple of Serapis at Pozzuoli.
- day 5 Back to Spaccanapoli to see Caravaggio’s Seven Acts of Mercy, the Duomo and San Lorenzo, both built over ruins from Greek and Roman times. Afternoon visit to the world renowned Naples National Archeological Museum, home to the bronzes and frescoes from Herculaneum and Pompeii. Evening drive to the lovely area of Posillipo and dinner at a restaurant on the cliffs of Marechiaro, overlooking the glittering Bay of Naples. dinner
- day 6 Once the royal palace of the Bourbons, the Museo Capodimonte houses one of the largest and finest collections of 17th century paintings in the world. We will spend the day in this spectacular museum with its tranquil gardens on the hill high above the city. Optional evening musical performance at the Teatro San Carlo.
- day 7 Morning visit to the Amphitheatre at Capua and the Temple of Mithras. After lunch, the lavish Royal Palace of Caserta. The mile-long, six tiered garden with its dynamic sculpture set in the landscape is unparalleled for its dramatic beauty.
- day 8 We head south to visit the ancient, well preserved town of Herculaneum. Afternoon visit to Vesuvius.
- day 9 Set on a hill and offering a spectacular view of the city and its bay, the Museo di San Martino is one of the jewels of Naples. This charterhouse, with its exquisite baroque church, boasts paintings by Ribera, Reni, and other great masters of the 17 century. Afternoon free with an optional visit to the Palazzo Reale.
- day 10 We bid farewell to Naples and head south, first to the imperial villa of Oplontis, and then to Pompeii to visit its extensive and fascinating remains. Then onto Sorrento to the Hotel Leone, our home for the next four nights. Dinner
- day 11 The early morning aliscafo (hydrofoil) delivers us to Capri where you can participate in a guided tour or simply relax on the beach. Evening in Sorrento
- day 12 Our exploration of the Amalfi Coast begins. Morning in Amalfi, the town whose own residents compare it to paradise. Then visit enchanting Ravello with its lovely villas and breathtaking vistas. Evening in Sorrento.
- day 13 We travel south to Paestum, of the most impressive complexes of Magna Grecia. Farewell dinner
- day 14 Free day in Sorrento. Late afternoon departure for Hotel Golden Tulip Isola Sacra near the Rome airport.
- day 15 Arrivederci Italia!!